Saturday, January 24, 2015

Sax-Zim Bog Blog

My wife released me from my domestic duties to go up to the Sax-Zim Bog this afternoon.  I was in search of owls and other boreal bird species this bog wilderness provides a winter home for.  It was a good day and I saw lots of birds, but no owls.  My wife went grocery shopping in Pike Lake and saw a Snowy Owl on the side of Hwy 53!

So I didn't even get out of the yard before I started taking pictures.  
I typically only see one White-breasted Nuthatch at a time.



Then just up the road a few miles from the house there was a Bald Eagle feasting on a deer carcass.







I hadn't stopped to check out the Blue Jay...

 I wouldn't have seen the Ruffed Grouse in the brush an got my favorite pics of the day


Lots of mammals out as well.  Many pine squirrels.  
This Muskrat was walking along the frozen ditch.

I stopped hoping to see an owl...but it was a Rough Legged Hawk!  A lifer for me.  Then a second one swooped at him and both flew off.  Later I saw a third one.

Gray Jays

 Black capped Chickadee, didn't find any boreal chickadees.

 C. Red poll


The day's overall list of species:

Other mammals:  pine squirrels, Muskrat, (no deer!)

Birds:
Black capped chickadee
common red poll
pine siskin
Pine Grosbeak (Lifer?, I may have seen one 20+ years ago)
Rough Legged Hawk (Lifer)
Blue Jay
Gray Jay
Ruffed Grouse
Bald Eagle
White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Black-billed Magpie (second time ever)
Hairy woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker

and other little birds too fast for me to identify!



No comments:

Post a Comment